Some sub-skills which can be
evaluated in an essay are:
- use of the parts of speech
- use of the correct verb form
- use of the correct verb tenses
- use of the correct vocabulary
- subject-verb agreement
- run-on sentence
- organization of writing material into
coherent sentences and paragraphs
- the ability to focus on a topic (focus)
- wrong word
Hints for planning and taking
an essay test
- The essay should be based on a topic that
the student can comfortably write about .
- Teach the student beforehand how
to preplan the essay with brainstorming. The student should be provided with scrap
paper to plan his/her writing.
- The student should attempt to plan or organize
his/her thinking before writing and be given time to
- Essays should be written in pen.