Study the explanations of the following words!
1. Sphere is a general category of a group of objects that are three-dimensional and round.
2. Bash, meaning a festive party, is used in informal speech.
3. Old and fat are words that are offensive to some people.
4. Heavy-set is a tactful way to say "fat."
5. Pen is a homonym that is understood only through the context of the conversation. It could mean an instrument that one uses to write with, or an enclosure to keep animals or children safe.
For further information about semantics:
Click here for the categories of some parts of speech.
Click here for the origins of English words.
Check here for an explanation of homophones and homonyms.